Thursday, August 04, 2005

A twisted generation

I didn’t even realize how many records from the Czech label Day After Records I have in my collection until I went to their website looking for more information on Kevorkian. Among its stable of artists are Four Walls Falling, Reiziger, Sunshine, The Robocop Kraus, Milemarker and 400 Years, to name just a few. I had picked up Kevorkian's 7”, Who is who, years ago from a German distro after reading a review about it in HeartattaCk, and I was not disappointed. If anything, it’s too bad that this was also the last sign of life from this band, to the best of my knowledge.

Day After describes Kevorkian’s sound as “fast and intense HC like early Born Against mixed up with some harsh parts” reminiscent of “Florida emo/violence bands.” That’s pretty accurate. I’m also hearing some Swing Kids and perhaps even a little Dead Guy in there, though I have to say the band it reminded me of the most when I listened to this again for the first time in a few years was actually the St. James Infirmary, particularly the driving, bass-heavy guitar riffs that function a bit like breakdowns in the middle of both ‘Magic Box’ and ‘Pink Panther.’ The vocals are definitely more on the screamy side and the songs are mostly made up of faster, more chaotic parts. But the music has a very rocked out feel to it; a rarity among bands that were going with the whole screamo thing at the time this was recorded, at the end of 1999.

Prior to Who is who, Kevorkian released another 7”, The Abyss, and a split LP with a band called Albion on Minority Records, though I have never seen either of these records anywhere and haven’t been able to find a distro that still sells them. If anyone has any info on that, please leave a comment.

Kevorkian – Who is Who
Kevorkian – The Magic Box
Kevorkian – Pink Panther
Kevorkian – Untitled

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also know their album "Relief Through Scream" on Hopewell Records. Check out the review of that here: http://www.asice.net/reviews/395/. It's not my cup of tea actually, but I can check if I still have the album around somewhere.

5:18 AM  
Blogger sabeth said...

Thanks for the info. From that review, it does sound like they changed their sound a lot, but I'd be curious to hear it.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've just got "the abyss" from my soulseek friend i've put it to my ftp:
ftp://anonymous@emopunk.ru:somepass@emopunk.ru/

(for using in ie you must replace first @ with %40)

so download it if you haven't got it.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home