Sunday, July 10, 2005

To our friends in the Great White North

Cursed is on tour again and has been getting a lot of good reviews for Two, their second full-length. Arguably, at least half of what makes them stand out as a band is Chris Colohan’s distinct vocals, the musical red threat holding their songs together, as much as in any previous band he has been in.

Colohan first got attention as a vocalist when he joined three former members of Chokehold to form Left for Dead. Following that was, of course, The Swarm, a band that was matched in intensity only by the likes of Catharsis, Ire and His Hero Is Gone. Both Left for Dead and The Swarm have discography CDs out, which, if you haven’t already, I urge you to check out.

As you may know, aside from Cursed, Colohan is also a member of Ruination. However, what you may not know is that from 1998-2000, he also sang in Toronto’s Countdown to Oblivion, sharing vocal duties with Stephe Perry. Over the course of those two years, they recorded a demo, a 7” entitled Brain surgery for beginners (Deranged), a split 7” with They Live (Ugly Pop) and a handful of compilation tracks. Notably, the band also included former members of Anti-Flag and Holocron, among many others.

Now, here’s the thing: Countdown to Oblivion’s music is every bit as powerful as anything by Colohan’s other bands. It’s fast and angry and the riffing is decidedly on the metal side, dual guitar harmonies and all, but with a hardcore feel to it, in no small part thanks to the vocals. Best of all, with a little luck you should easily be able to find copies of the EPs and, believe me, they’re worth a bit of digging. (And speaking of digging, if anyone could help me get a hold of any of the compilation songs, I would greatly appreciate it.)

To wet your beak, here are two songs off Brain surgery and one of the songs from the split. For more detailed information on the band, check out Ugly Pop.

Countdown to Oblivion – The way it is
Countdown to Oblivion – Take it apart
Countdown to Oblivion – Poster children for family values

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've listened to some songs from Cursed mp3 on the web some times ago and they just floored me. Now, I have both of their full-lengths and I'm floored again. This band is one of the best I've heard for years. Old school but modern, dark, powerful and impressive hc with a touch of HHIG's sound. Great band. I've known that Colohan has been in other bands before, but I've never had any opportunities to listen to any of them before, so thanks for this post :) Maybe something from the Swarm next time?

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and I haven't save my changes after previewing and result is a little bit strange after publishing... but still understandable :)

6:38 PM  
Blogger sabeth said...

Thanks for your comment, Jonatan. The reason why I am hesitant to post anything by Colohan's other bands is that their records/ discographies are all relatively easy to find and buy. That said, I can only say again that if you like Cursed, you will definitely like The Swarm and probably also Left for Dead.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Relatively easy... maybe, but not in Poland ;-) But I can manage it somehow, I think. Thanks again, in the meantime I'm going to play Cursed once again :-)

6:59 PM  
Blogger sabeth said...

E-mail me. I might be able to help you out a little bit.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home